Judicial Clerkship Forums  

Go Back   Judicial Clerkship Forums > Basic Forums > Current & Former Clerks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Basic Member

Question from Career federal law clerk

Hi -- new here. I am a career federal law clerk for a district judge right now. I clerked for this judge my first year out of law school, went into practice with a great firm for 2 years, and jumped at the chance to return to a permanent clerking position when my Judge asked me about it. I have now been back clerking permanently for over 2 years, and I'm very happy with my job and my decision. My Judge recently took senior status, but is keeping a case load sufficient to justify his staff. He has assured me on several occasions that he never intends to completely retire and I wholeheartedly believe him. My question is this: should my Judge become disabled or something happen to him, what would my status be? Would I be considered terminated immediately? Would there be a grace period for me to find a new job? I'm just not sure how to prepare for such a situation, even though I hope and pray it's far into the future. I've looked but haven't found a "procedure" for this happening, if one exists. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2007, 05:54 AM
Basic Member

I see that Guru answered my basic question in response to Tex's question on in the main forum, so thanks. However, any other responses or experiences are welcome!